The scene on the M9 Motorway in County Kildare. crash Eamonn Farrell/RolingNews.ie photo.

Five Dead Four Injured in Motorway Mayhem

Five teenage boys have died following a head-on collision in County Kildare after the car they were traveling in was driven in the wrong direction on the M9 motorway.

Four people were injured in the second vehicle – three women and a seven-year-old boy from the same family – and are currently being treated in hospital. Two of the women are in a critical condition. The third woman and the boy are in a serious condition.

Sign up to The Irish Echo Newsletter

Sign up today to get daily, up-to-date news and views from Irish America.

Those in the second vehicle were reportedly driving to Dublin Airport - on the correct side of the motorway - to catch a flight to England for a wedding.

The incident took place before 3 a.m. on Sunday morning.

The Garda Representative Association said the five teenagers were evading gardaí while traveling in a stolen BMW when it was driven onto the wrong side of the M9.

Garda Commissioner Justin Kelly said: “This horrific incident, following the recent collision on the M50, shows how irresponsible and dangerous driving on the wrong side of the motorway is.

“That, of course, should be self-evident but what makes this reckless behaviour even more appalling is that in some cases it is being done for social medial likes regardless of the potentially devastating impact it might have on innocent people and themselves.”

The collision has been referred to Fiosrú, the Police Ombudsman.

“Gardaí are put in a really challenging situation dealing with such incidents. As always, An Garda Síochána will fully cooperate with the Police Ombudsman investigation which I hope is completed as expeditiously as possible,” Commissioner Kelly added.

Speaking on RTÉ, Fr. Tom Little from Tusla spoke of his sadness for the families of those who lost their lives and wished those who are injured a speedy recovery.

“It’ll be a long road too to recover from the families that have lost loved ones,” he said. “We express our deepest sincere sympathy to them in their loss and our prayers and our thoughts are for those that are injured and wish speedy recovery.”

Sinn Féin spokesperson on Justice Homes Affairs and Migration, Matt Carthy TD, said what had happened on the M9 was “horrific”.

“This is the second such incident in a matter of weeks involving young people driving a suspected stolen vehicle the wrong way on a motorway. Earlier this month, a vehicle carrying eight youths entered the M50 against the flow of traffic before crashing head-on into another car.

“These incidents highlight a very serious and growing threat to public safety that requires a coordinated response from across the justice system.”





 



Donate