Rocks Over-30s go into short break unbeaten

Shamrock's unbeaten Over-30s go into a three-week break atop the Div. II log after a hard fought 2-2 tie with Manhattan Celtic in last Sunday's late night Irish derby at Pier 40. The undefeated Rocks twice led Celtic before being hauled back. "Definitely the best team we've played," coach Paddy McCarry lauded Celtic. "This was the game of the season." Three of the goals came in a frenetic first half that began with Shamrock's Karl Hughes tearing past two defenders and lashing home [4th]. Celtic response wasn't long in coming. After eight minutes, midfielder Greg Macek streaked down the left and crossed for Bray native Ian Woodcock to level. With a team-high nine goals to his name this season, it would only be a matter of time before County Longford transplant Brian O'Connor found the net for the Rocks. He did so, pouncing on a defensive error [25th] to give the visitors a 2-1 advantage at the interval. The lead held for a mere three minutes on resumption. That's when Messaoud Ouechtati tapped in a Freddie Etiaskoh cross [48th]. "They're a good side and my players were excellent," McCarry reiterated, singling out linkman Eoghan McPartland for Man of the Match honors. Shot-stopper Kevin McPartland [no relation to Eoghan] received props for pulling off several superb saves while center half Mike Bishop also earned mention. With three games remaining, Shamrock [9-0-4, 31] lead NYPD by two points and don't play again until May 1. Celtic [4-1-7, 19] are fifth.
KELLY BRACEThe Shamrock first team, mean­while, twice came from behind to hold Moroccan Astoria Lions 2-2 at Msgr. McClancy High School. Sean Kelly [35th, 80th] notched both goals in the Second Division tussle. "A good game [that] we probably should have won," observed Glen Wrafter. His lads created some good chances against a side reduced to ten men in the 70th minute but could not finish.
LIONS TAMEDThe Shamrock reserves held off the Moroccans 3-2 in the curtain raiser, courtesy of Miah Loughnan [two] and Nick Johannsen. "We conceded two late goals and missed a lot of chances to seal it but deserved [to] win," said Brian Wolohan.
TRAVERS WOESLansdowne Bhoys came away from Travers Island empty handed following 1-0 and 2-0 defeats by their first and second teams, respectively. "Very disappointed because we played so well. We dominated play and possession in the first half," coach Kevin Grogan said of his first unit.

Sign up to The Irish Echo Newsletter

Sign up today to get daily, up-to-date news and views from Irish America.