Bhoys’ 2nd XI get big cup win, 1st, 3rd exit

Lansdowne Bhoys’ second XI hit peak form to maul Pancyprian Freedoms ‘B’ 6-2 on Randalls Island last Sunday and advance to the D’Arpino Cup round of 16.

In the same competition, the Lansdowne thirds succumbed 2-1 to fellow Cosmopolitan Soccer League [CSL] Metro division campaigners Missile FC at upstate Sloatsburg Field.

There was also a disappointing exit for the Lansdowne firsts in the Manning Cup quarterfinals after a 1-0 loss to Polonia at Tibbets Brook Park Field.

Sign up to The Irish Echo Newsletter

Sign up today to get daily, up-to-date news and views from Irish America.


Tom Brady, Johnny McGeeney, Micheal Fernandez [two], John Chapman and Richie Morgan fired the Lansdowne reserves into the pre-quarterfinal round of the D’Arpino Cup.

“Veteran defender Tom Brady was Man of the Match. He kept it tight at the back and went up field once and banged in a goal,” said Aiden Corr. “Pancyprians where not as strong as usual but we were well organized for the most part and deadly up front on the day.”

The Bronx Irish, 2-0 winners over Nieuw Amsterdam in the previous round, have New York Athletic Club’s reserves standing between them and place in the last eight of one of New York State’s largest amateur soccer competitions.


Darren McDermott had the Lansdowne thirds’ only goal in a 2-1 defeat by Missile FC in another D’Arpino Cup tie.

It was an unlikely end to a promising campaign for the rookie side in its first season in the CSL. They hammered New York Galicia 10-0 in the first round before seeing off FC Bravehearts 3-1.


In the Manning Cup quarterfinals, Polonia claimed another Irish scalp with a 1-0 decision over Lansdowne’s firsts. The Poles had thrashed Irish Rovers 5-2 in the first round.

Lansdowne Coach Kevin Grogan took the defeat hard.

“We had so many chances but couldn’t finish. At this level, you have to take your chances,” he rued.


Up 2-0 inside ten minutes after a whirlwind start, Shamrock’s Over-30s suffered an unexpected collapse down the stretch in a Div. One encounter with SC Eintracht on Randalls Island. Paddy McCarry’s crew lost 3-2.

A rout appeared on the cards when Man of the Match Mike Bishop finished off a move by skipper Stephen Doyle after five minutes and then turned provider for Karl Hughes [10th].

However, the Rocks’ failure to clear the ball from two free kicks in the 20th and 27th minutes soon had Eintracht level through Gene Milovanov and Bundy Doczy, respectively.

Eintracht stalwart Tom Strumpf then decided the match when he buried a Peter Maris rebound [65th] with Shamrock reduced to ten men.

Doyle’s ejection [75th] was the final blow for the Rocks who’d earlier lost defensive kingpin Robbie Walsh to injury on the hour.

“We hit the post twice [but] all in all, it was a bad day at the office,” coach McCarry lamented. “We had enough opportunities to win it.”

The good news for McCarry is that Shamrock [4-4-1, 13] remain second in the West, three points behind leaders New York Dinamo.


Elsewhere in the Over-30 division,

Manhattan Celtic smashed BWG Cosmos 7-2 courtesy of Barrie Taylor [16th, 25th], Phil James [22nd], David Priego [43rd], Raafet Olian [74th, 82nd] and Mickey Mason [87th].