The Shamrock House will continue to operate as a resort under the new ownership, according to a release.
The Kellegher Family, in a letter, "to our community and friends" expressed their "sincere appreciation to each and every one of our loyal supporters for all of your support, friendship and patronage" throughout the years.
"The Kellegher Family and The Shamrock House have been blessed with the opportunity to serve the people of our community and the many visitors to East Durham for more than seven decades," the letter stated.
"Our family would like to congratulate John and Sue Quirk and family for their continued dedication to our community, the revitalization of, and the future success of East Durham. We could not be prouder to be a part of the history of this town and are even more excited for the wonderful things to come," it added.
The Kellegher family association with the town at the heart of the "Irish Catskills" goes back to 1937.
According to the Shamrock House website, that year, Patrick Kellegher visited his sister Mary, who, along with her husband George Sullivan, had just purchased the Erin's Melody Hotel in East Durham.
"During that visit, on a ride along main street in East Durham, he noticed that a building called the Central Hotel was for sale. He was so taken with the beauty of the area and its likeness to his native County Longford that he purchased the Central in 1938. That same year the Central Hotel had its name changed to the now famous Shamrock House."