Limerick’s William O’Donoghue and Robert Downey of Cork in action at the Gaelic Grounds on Sunday. For Irish GAA roundup click on the link at the end of the first NYGAA game report. [Inpho/Ryan Byrne]

Gaels win semi

Shannon Gaels 5-15 Mayo 2-12.

This was a fast-paced, high-scoring and very entertaining encounter between two very committed teams. Mayo started well but as the game developed, the speed, skill, versatility and fitness of the Shannon Gaels lads gave them a decisive edge. Plus they had a well-stocked bench which was very judiciously used in this energy-sapping contest. 

Though Mayo struggled to stay the pace with their more fleet-footed opponents in the intermediate semi, they still acquitted themselves with an impressive tally. Indeed that tally could have been more, but keeper Ryan Corrigan denied them a few bona fide chances towards the end. 

Sign up to The Irish Echo Newsletter

Sign up today to get daily, up-to-date news and views from Irish America.

Meanwhile Shannon Gaels got the opening score as Ashton Walsh set up Pat Devlin in the first minute. On a direct counter-attack Ollie McLean had the net bulging and Shane McNeilis shot over a point. The vacillatory nature of the game continued as Julian Jamhishi and Rory Duggan shot over two points and Ollie McLean and Shane Slattery did likewise at the other end with good support from Matthew Queenan. 

By the 10-minute mark Shannon Gaels were finding their groove  and the way to the scoring lanes as speedsters Rory Duggan, Julian Jamshihi and Ashton Walsh were slicing and dicing their way through Mayo’s defense.  By the quarter mark they led by 1-7 to 1-3 as Oisin Mathers goaled, while Duggan, Price and company chipped in with points. Mayo briefly stalled the Gael’s momentum to hit a trio of points courtesy of Ryan Kearney, Ollie McLean and Shane Slattery. The Gaels were soon back in the driving seat as Danny Corridan sealed up the defense, setting the stage for a brace of points before Oisin Mathers banged in the second goal.  However just before the break Mayo made the most of a misdirected kick-out, and exacted the top cost for the miscue, a goal, just to leave the score at 2-9 to 2-6 at the short whistle.

That late goal seemed to energize Mayo as they were taking the game to the Gaels on resumption. Conor Hogan, Matt Queenan, John Power and Cormac Condron stepped up their performances. Shane Slattery scored a great point despite some very close attention and McNeilis and McLean were always burrowing for scores. Still they were not able to get closer than the three points gap despite points from McNeilis, McLean and hard-grafting John Power.  

The Gaels, though temporarily at lesser pace, still responded with scores. Keeper Corrigan casually sailed over a “forty five” and Oisin Mathers scored two spectacular points from away out the field. Then with just a quarter to play, the Gaels effectively killed off the game as a contest with a three goal splurge, with Oisin Mathers, Senan Price and Fintan Corbett striking the majors. Mayo didn’t throw in the towel as Ryan Corrigan’s reflexes were well tested as time ticked away. Overall a great team performance by the Gaels, and it clearly illustrates the great foundational work that has been done by the Queens club. Shannon Gales now meet Kerry in the Intermediate League final. This should be an interesting battle, as the long established Kingdom takes on the Gaels, one of the new kids on the block.      

Shannon Gaels: Ryan Corrigan, Eamon Doran, David McNamara, Aidan Mooney, Danny Corridan, Luke Corridan, Fintan Corbett, Asthon Walsh, Rory Duggan, Pat Devlin, Julian Jamshihi, Oisin Mathers, Senan Price. Subs Rob Corridan, Eoin Reed, Brendan Ferguson, Tom McCarthy, Liam O’Connell, Oisin Foy, Pascal Kavanagh, Liam Walsh, Michael Mourne, Dylan Gunning.

Mayo: Conor Tinney, Sean McEvoy, Conor Hogan, Dan Enright, Cormac Condron, Matthew Queenan, John Power, Conor Bowden, Ryan Kearney, Shane McNeilis, Ollie McLean, Shane Slattery. Subs. Sean Staunton. Referee Pat Donoghue

For Ireland GAA report, click here.

Rangers 0-17   Sligo 1-8

In the 19th Century, Alfred, Lord Tennyson, the English poet laureate, wrote that “the old order changeth yielding place to new.” Well the order of the senior football division at Gaelic Park has certainly changed. Some powerhouses from the past have vanished or fallen to lower divisions, while clubs, once dubbed Minor Board, are now operating well in the top division — cases in point would be St. Barnabas, Shannon Gaels and the Rangers. In the past team building required liberal use of the Aer Lingus shuttle, indicating imported talent. Now that modus operandi has changed as talent tends to be developed locally as exemplified by the afore-mentioned clubs. 

Meanwhile Rangers and Sligo squared off in this fast-paced senior league contest. Shay McElligott opened the scoring with a point but Danny Corridan quickly replied at the other end as Tadgh O’Riordan delivered the pass inside. The scoreboard was stagnant for the rest of the first quarter as defenses held sway, though Jack Homan looked set to goal after a defense-splitting run but the shot was brilliantly saved by Joey Grace.  Midway in the period Emmett Loughrane, who was having a fine game, eventually ended the scoring drought with a well-taken point. At the other end Tadgh O’Riordan sliced his way through Ranger’s defense to rattle the net. Play quickly swung to the other end where Shay McElligott and PJ King slotted over two points.  Rangers looked on target for another score but a timely interception set the stage for Brian Coughlin to score.  The “forty man” was playing well as he landed another point from away out the field to give Sligo a two point lead with ten minutes left in the period.  However Sligo were very much on the defensive for the remainder of the half,  while Rangers were very much on the offensive. They had a few shots come off the crossbar and uprights, while they hit three unanswered points, a brace for Shay McElligott and a singleton for Emmett Loughrane. The Rangers led by 0-7 to 1-3 at the break.  

On resumption, Rangers continued to call the shots as Brian Twomey and Chris Mulvihill tagged on two points. Brian Coughlin, one of Sligo’s more noticeable players got one back. However Ranger’s half back line of Emmett Loughrane, James Breen and Brian Twomey ensured little traffic would pass as Rangers were now very much in control. They put four unanswered points on the board courtesy of McElligott, Mulvihill and Evan McStay to open up a six points lead with a quarter to play. In fairness to Sligo, despite the deficit, Danny Corridan, Tadgh O’Riordan, Brian Coughlin, John Glynn and company  kept battling. Brian Coughlin was their chief score-getter, but they were more than matched on the other side by Shay McElligott, Ranger’s chief marksman.  Danny Corridan had Sligo’s last point while Shay McElligott capped off a very productive game with Ranger’s last score.  

Sligo: Vinney Cadden, Paul Kelly, Shane Queenan, Jack Haron, Danny Corridan, Harry O’Connor, Tadgh O’Riordan, Paddy Moriarity, Jack Healy, Brian Coughlan, Cian McArdle, Connell Ahern, Johnny Glynn. Subs Joe Henry, Niall Mullen, Fintan Corbett, David Brennan, Daragh McCannon, Jack Maher, Sean Thompson.

Rangers: Joey Grace, Shane Doheny, Danny Burke, Emmett Loughrane, James Breen, Brian Twomey, Danny Corrigan, Evan McStay, Chris Mulvihill, Kevin Loane, PJ King, Shay McElligott, Steve Homan. Subs Tom Hardeman, Dylan Nolan, Referee Peter McCormack.